August 31, 2011

Experience As A 3d Animation Faculty

Saw something very interesting. The Naked truth of Animation Eduction. Very Nice Experience Shared By 'KIM PATIL'.
Most of the Animation Institutes In India are only behind money. They are ruining careers of thousands of young people. They don't know the A of animation & takes 3 - 3 lakh rupees as fee for 2-3 year diploma degree courses. Only 10% Institutes in India Are real. They have experienced faculty & all infrastructure needed for the Education. Anyway read on the same pain of 'KIM PATIL' on Animation Education. Thanks KIM for sharing your views.

My experience as a 3d faculty member
So I finished my showreel and was searching for a job, it is so tough for freshers to get a job in this industry I tried hard, I tried a lot but the first job eluded me, combine that with lot of familial pressure and that was it, I went for a interview for the position of 3d faculty for a well known institute and as you can expect I was very happy. Now I would not have to answer repetitive questions from family and relatives and to some extent friends.


First day was a bit of a disappointment since I was underwhelmed with the branch that I was assigned, people seemed to be a bit too busy and all of them were in formals and wore a tie, alas I was also told to wear one. However the trainer turned out to be pretty cool and was knowledgeable too. Well, I somehow managed to continue with the noose around my neck but I soon realized they were just teaching the students only the tools and nothing more than that and the students on their part were also very passive. Further inquiry with the trainer revealed that they were not allowed to teach more than what was there in the trainer’s manual. I was not very happy about this but worse was to come, these guys were offering graduation programme in animation (Bsc in animation - what load of crap) and claimed to be affiliated to some obscure university.


To start with they were charging 3 lakhs for this course which included all the softwares that you can think of, it had Pagemaker and Quarkexpress too. Their main targets were students who had just completed their HSC (12th standard) and who were not further interested in studies but just wanted a degree. For example, there was this naive student who was already learning 3ds max and was quite pathetic at it but was still opting for this 3 year course and I was supposed to teach them who had never done a graduation in animation. Just as I thought things couldn’t get worse than this there was another bomb shell waiting.



We had a monthly meeting to review our progress and there I was sitting with faculty members for other branches of the city. We were all sitting together and it felt like we were marketing guys all of us wearing formals and a tie. Believe me those were the some of the most uncomfortable 6 hours for me, the companies marketing head went on and on about how the company progressed and how they were doing so much good work. But when he started to talk about the education in the Later he started making unreasonable demands like



1 Students should complete their showreel within a month.



2 We as faculties should know all softwares.



3 We should always be dressed formally no matter what the occasion.



Some gems from this guy

1 On being asked about placements etc, his answer was
“I want you’ll to make our students so capable that companies should come to our institute and conduct campus interviews rather than the institute going to companies to ask for vacancies.” LOL


2 On being asked about the lack of good facility for teaching drawing and classical animation, his answer, “We as good employees of the company have to manage with the resources that we have”



3 On being asked about students getting access to particular forums like Helpline 3d, his answer,

“It is against the protocol of the company”, even when we stressed that we just wanted to access to these sites in particular and not the all the websites on the world wide web.

Well, that was the final nail in the coffin I left within 3 weeks and was quite disgusted by their attitude and greed. This is the situation in our country at the moment only money is on the mind of these institutes they are not bothered about the students future or for anything else they were more interested in making profits.
Check out the link below for the original post & interesting comments:
http://www.helpline3d.com/speak-your-heart-out/2876-my-experience-3d-faculty-member

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Creative